The end result of the hijacking of our political and economic system by the top 1% is that the country has been run into the ground. In my opinion, and based on quite a bit of on-line research and a library of saved Internet postings and articles, it is severely damaged but it may be repairable. In the meantime, here is what America is faced with in the short term.
Seven Reasons Why Capitalism Can't Recover Anytime Soon
- Central Banks are Dumbfounded. The usual tricks that U.S. and European central banks use to avoid recessions are long-exhausted.
- Trade War. For a global economy to grow, global cooperation is needed. President Trump is doing exactly the opposite – imposing tariffs without negotiation.
- Military War. Foreign war is a good symptom of economic decay. $57,000 a minute – that's how much the United States spends on military adventures overseas, and that's just the ones we know about.
- U.S. Economy at a Standstill. The most important consumer market in the world, the U.S. is a nation of nearly bankrupt consumers. Over twenty million Americans are unemployed or underemployed.
- Bailout Capitalism. First it was the banks and other corporations that needed bailing out, and now whole nations. Western nations bailed out their banks by falling into the massive debt that they are now drowning in.
- Bailout Repercussions. All western nations -- including the U.S. and England -- are grappling with their national debts. Rich bond investors are demanding that these countries drastically reduce their deficits, while also demanding that the deficits be reduced through hidden taxes on working families, instead of rich investors.
- The Far Right Emerges. To deal with working people more ruthlessly, the radical right is being unleashed. In normal times these bigots yell furiously but no one listens. But in times of economic crisis they're given endless airtime on all major media outlets.
Six more startling facts about the decline of the USA.
So where are US resources being directed? Towards war, of course!
QUICK FACTS ON WARS AND DEFENSE SPENDING
- The National
Security Adviser says there are less than 100 Al Qaeda operatives in
Afghanistan and we have over 100,000 troops and probably as many
mercenaries chasing them.
- Maintaining one
American soldier in Afghanistan for one year costs one million
dollars. This expenditure could be for twenty jobs at home with a
salary of $50,000 each.
- There are now
over 90,000 battlefield casualties from the Iraq and Afghanistan
Wars. Over 500,000 veterans patients from the two wars have flooded
into VA hospitals and clinics. That's one new war casualty walking
into a VA medical facility every five minutes of every day---about
9,000 new patients every month with no end in sight. Also, one third
of all returning veterans from these illegal wars wind up on
psychiatric disability. They will never work again. That's what war
does to people, so why do we continue?
- The Iraqis still
don't have a government and Christians are being ethnically
- The cost of the
Iraq war alone was more than three trillion dollars according to
Joseph Stiglitz, a Nobel winning economist.
- 190,000 AK-47s
handed out by the US Army to Iraqi security force recruits vanished
and wound up in the hands of ISIS militants.
- The total DOD
budget for the current fiscal year is over $700 billion. It is an
amount just under what the entire rest of the world spends for
defense and most of them are allies.
- The Defense
Department spends in a few hours more than al Qaeda spends in an
- According to the
U.S. Department of Agriculture, 36 million Americans, including one
out of every four children, are currently on food stamps. In the
richest country in the world, this is inexcusable.